Wednesday, September 1, 2010

E.E. Cummings may have just been a little perverted

I routinely read a blog called 'Living Flirtatiously'. It provides my sentimental heart with the right doses of butterfly commentary mixed with cynical dating realities to make me feel like I'm not alone in blundering my way through the dating world. Today's post by Maura was on poems for any stage of a romantic relationship. Of course I read them but one of the last ones that I read was the one by E.E. Cummings called I like my body when it is with your.

i like my body when it is with your
body. It is so quite new a thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
i like your body. i like what it does,
i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which i will
again and again and again
kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
i like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh… And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you so quite new

Um, it's kinda randy, non? I have to admit that just over 12 years ago I sat in a crowded auditorium writing my last English lit essay for a final exam in my mandatory-for-my-BA 1st year English lit class and I sat for a minute to gather my thoughts when I realized that this would be the last English exam I would ever have to right. I could have SUNG I felt so ELATED at the idea that I would never have to use the words protagonist, antagonist, foreshadowing, anticlimax or narrative again - note I didn't say 'climax' ;o) . Probably one of the reasons why I hate really stuffy book clubs. I like to enjoy the written word on a purely superficial level...is that so wrong of me?

Anyways, I decided to read these poems as I've recently found myself on 2 and soon to be 3 dates with a master's grad of English lit. I can't admit to never having read E.E. Cummings, can I? Well now I can...if only that it's something rather randy that I've read...I wonder if that would scandalize the English lit major....

No comments: