Thursday, December 3, 2009

A giant, plush....*whoops*

I came to a harsh, teary-eyed realization this am: my beloved feline friend, Spencer, will not always be with me.

While lying in bed this am with her snuggling oh so close to me for warmth, I took a few minutes to have a harsh reflection on her behaviour over the last few months and have started to see that she really is aging now. I've had a stool by the bed for her for the last 4 years but moving to the house made a huge difference in her as she was now forced to navigate 3 floors to get from snuggles in bed to food to litter box. She was a new cat.

But she's started to turn white around the muzzle. She's losing quite a bit of body mass. She moves much slower. She's much more needy. She snuggles up very close for body heat and readjusts when I roll over at night where she used to hiss, meow in complaint and move on for the rest of the night. She also grunts and groans and sleeps very soundly (probably a by-product of hearing starting to go). And she snores. LOUDLY. All things that are showing her age - a whopping 16 this past November 7th.

So today I decided to buy her a cat bed or two where she could curl up and have lots of padding. Like old people, the more padding around her tired bones these days, the better. Seems my lap's workin' out JUST fine for her ( ;o) ) but it's not always open for business. I went and got a traditional cat bed that is large enough for both cats to curl up in and then a second cat sack for her to curl up in.

She seems rather leery of it and just now, I realized why...it looks like a giant, plush condom. See what I mean? In the words of Gback 'Oye Vey'.

No comments: