Cue music....
A couple weekends ago, I decided to do a stay-weekend and just was a shut in in my house doing things that needed doing - like lazily watching tv and napping. ;o)
As is the case, I inevitably needed some human contact mid-Saturday pm so I got online and checked out a few profiles on everyone's favourite dating website. I hadn't been on in weeks - I was just too busy and not really in the mood for the 'first date' dance/courtship rituals so I'd avoided the site. But, being true to the needs of you dear readers, perhaps it was time to add to the WHMPC category once again.
Wikipedia Guy (or wiki wiki for Gback) messaged me Saturday pm. His message was kinda quirky and short (like him) and so I messaged him back. This resulted in a flurry of emails for days which eventually lead to msn, texting and, believe it or not, an actual phone conversation. By that point we'd made plans to go out on the Sunday of the long weekend and I was looking forward to the date.
It's no surprise to you all that I have a geeky side. Yes, I know, I try not to expose you to it but sometimes it creeps through. But this guy, no matter how geeky the conversation turned (from geography to tractors to weather!) he was able to keep up and continue the conversation without dropping a beat. In fact, in one email, he sent me the link to a Wikipedia article (hence Wikipedia Guy). When I told this to some colleagues, the open mouthed shock at perhaps the match made in online dating heaven was a little bit too creepy.
So Sunday came and when we finally got together, he was as interesting and comfortable to converse with in person as he had been through any other medium. We went and saw some buskers on Sparks Street and then the sound and light show on Parliament Hill. He took me home after and I waited for what I hoped would be a good night kiss in my driveway.
And what did I get?
Nuthin'.
Now I'm not sayin' that I want every first date to end in some kind of physical contact - that would just be GROSS! But, you know, I thought things had gone well and he'd already suggested getting together once he'd gotten back from his trip to Vegas the following weekend.
The following day, when I didn't have a text or email from him, I wrote him off. Yup, not interested. I gotcha. It's all good, I understand. No hard feelings.
And then he texted to say he had a good time and it was a good idea. We then texted throughout the day and chatted on MSN that night. Okay, maybe I'd been quick to react.
Throughout the rest of the week, before he left on his trip, we texted, emailed and chatted on MSN. We made plans for a get together of ice cream and sight seeing the following week when he returned from Vegas. He then went off to Vegas and I didn't hear from him.
Fast forward a few days to the next Monday, the day he's due home from Vegas. I get a text from him in the am all chatty chatty while he's waiting during the layover between flights. And then he's off on his flight and I am busy at work and with softball and I don't hear from him the rest of the day. I text him after my softball game that night to firm up plans for the next day. He doesn't answer my texts. In fact he sends me a text the next day saying he's off to Montreal for work for a few days. No apology for cancelling, no reschedule but still with the texts and emails. But they're starting to wane.
So I figure, one last chance. I'd like to see him and I can wait around for him to make plans or just take life by the balls and try and make plans. He either agrees or he doesn't - at least I'll know.
I fire off a text to him suggesting getting together that weekend if he has time. No response. In fact, no other texts from him. I then get a friendly email from him (we'd also had an ongoing email exchange - yes, I know...soooo much technology!!!) on other random stuff and commenting on how he forgot his blackberry charger. Um, can I say, BULLSHIT? But I reply with a friendly email, no suggestion of getting together, nada. Becasue at this point, it's time to move on.
I guess we were both on the same page. I've since not heard from him. And GBack lost the bet that I would - he owes me breakfast! WOOT WOOT!
So, maybe something good DID come out of it.... :o)
And, dear readers, as is the motto of Albertasauras...
On
to
the
next...
No comments:
Post a Comment