Thursday, November 12, 2009

Look, I know everyone has needs...

but seriously, this is something I can't condone.

But first, a little background...

When I was married, I think I did the ostrich bit. I didn't really think that anyone I knew who was married or in committed relationships would have affairs. It seemed like something some shady 40-something business man did when he was dissatisfied with his home life. Like a Jon Gosselin type. Not that he cheated or anything - or maybe he did. I can't keep up with that J&K+8 crap anymore. Okay, I didn't ever anyways because as if this non-breeder would watch a show about a family with 8 kids. Puh-shaw. I don't think so. BOOOOR-RING!

Anyways, back to my point - yes, I have one.

What I didn't realize is that this isn't a phenomenon that is only for older generations. And I can't get over the number of people who are 'open' about it. Check any online dating site or personals section of any craigslist, and you'll see the 'attached and looking for just something physical because my marriage isn't giving me what I need but not looking to change my situation' postings. It floors me and it also crushes the hopeless romantic in me that there can be a happily ever after. Sure, speed bumps and curves along the way but still that two people can make it work long term. When did we as a society start condoning this behaviour of cheating? And so much so that there are now sites like Ashley Madison? Which, btw, was started by a man but he wasn't getting the female traffic to the site that he needed to make it profitable for the men to come so he decided to name it after a female to make it more friendly to women who were looking for an affair. Nice, eh?

Anyways, if you've never heard of Ashley Madison, you might want to Google it and take a look. I'd be lying if I said it didn't leave me a little bit sad and kinda jaded.

No comments: