So I'm done with the online dating thing because it's too time consuming. Right. Back to 'organic dating' as I'm calling it.
This is where I get introduced by friends to their single friends (*ahem* - I'm WAIT-ING! ;o) ) and I go back to actually introducing myself to men that I find attractive and follow up with the phone number giving blah-de, blah-de, blah-blah.
Tonight, when I had to stay at work for an event I COMPLETELY forgot about (love the unexpected 12 hr + days), I had the unexpected surprise of seeing a cute man who smelt nice. Now, we all know that smell is a big thing to me which is why the scent police was such a ego-damaging moment for me. It took said gentleman about an hour to work his way over to introducing himself to me (he had borrowed a pen earlier in the evening from me which is how I caught a whiff) and we ended up chatting for a good 10 minutes. We talked about work, education, goals in life in our careers...interesting stuff. And there were definitely moments of flirtation going on.
And then he did it.
He 'WE''d me.
As in he said 'I'm staying at a hotel because the house that WE're having built isn't ready yet.'
Don't get me wrong, I checked for a ring. I would never have flirted the way that I did if there had been one. But seriously? Why? What was the point of flirting with me like that? Hunh? To prove he still has it? For fun? Seriously? Why not just walk away after he borrowed my pen? Did he need to 'we' on me so that he didn't feel guilty about flirting - ie. 'I was upfront that I was in a relationship'.
Regardless, it got me thinking to how I've changed over the past few years. Before I met le ex, I was an 'I'. Then I too became a 'we' when we were together (which is just funny to type because there's no other way to put it). And now I'm a 'ME' (or 'I' if it's more grammatically correct).
But more than that...it's making me think about what happened to the 'I' and the 'me' when I was in the 'we'. While a relationship's about give and take, perhaps there was more giving in my 'we' than 'I' or 'me' realized was going on. 'I' am going to be congnizant of this fact the next time there's a 'we' so that 'I' doesn't loose sight of the fact that 'we' is really made up of two 'me''s.
No comments:
Post a Comment