Sunday, September 6, 2009

The passing of time

I'm not sure what it is about the turning of the seasons in fall that really make me remark on the passing of time. Perhaps it's the beginning of the school year that my current job reminds me with a stiff smack in the face each year during frosh week 'Welcome Week' (because apparently parents freak out over their precious little ones being initiated into university life with drinking and drugs and sex and all that is wrong in the world - ugh hello, walk into any suburban highschool and you'll see 10 times worse, you just have to look!). Maybe it's the quickly approaching birthday of mine (35 days peeps - and might I also take this moment to tell you it's only 109 until Xmas). Perhaps it's the change in the season that is much more marked than spring to summer.

I dunno.

And maybe it's that I had coffee with Mexican Princess today after helping her adjust her chandelier where we reflected on the changes she and I have both seen in our lives and I know I've had probably the best two years of my life. But it really hit me today on the ball field as I played my last softball game of the season. Almost 60 games later and somehow, 4 months have passed. And while I'm excited to be moving on to something new and focus a lot of time and effort on it (rowing), where did time go? What did I do with it? What do I have to show for it? And will I make the most of the next 4 months before Xmas that always seem to pass in a flurry of activity between work and play?

I know...it's a little...deep...for hanging up my cleats and glove for the season but it just struck a chord with me today. And so I thought I'd share it with you and fill up the cosmic void with my moment of...

Hmmm...

No comments: