A while back I pondered the things I should do before dying. What I was thinking of were the big things, you know, stuff that would be pricey to accomplish or require some kind of long term planning. But there are tons of things in my daily life that I should know how to do or wouldn't take much to learn with the right volunteer teachers (ahem).
So instead of doing a list of resolutions for 2009, I've come up with a list of goals. Easier to accomplish and if I get delayed in doing them, well, at least I've got 12 months to recover my dignity and tick them off the list. I'll update the list as I check things off or add things and if there are things you think I should know how to do/should accomplish because you either 1) can't believe I don't do that or 2) just think everyone should do it/experience it once, feel free to leave a comment. So here goes (in no particular order):
1) Learn how to change a light fixture, wall socket and light switch
2) learn to BBQ (this will start with learning to turn the BBQ on and hooking up the propane)
3) learn to kayak (I always said this was my sport of my 30's and well, I'm 20-10 now so no excuses!)
4) learn how to paint (like a room)
5) go for my first leg waxing (followed immediately by #22)
6) learn to drive standard
7) learn to put air in my car/bike tires
8) open a champagne bottle (I don't think I'll mind practicing this one!)
9) learn ambidextrous shoveling
10) learn to write and use a mouse with my left hand (I've started practicing fine motor control already with putting on my mascara with my left hand - you laugh, let's see you take your eyes in your hands and try it!)
11) learn to start a fire
12) learn to read a compass
13) learn to parallel park (again) and reverse into a spot (not that I can't do those, I just choose not to because I can't do it very well and I should be able to)
14) learn to change a tire
15) learn CPR and the Heimlich maneuver
16) learn to use my (new) digital camera (I have a lesson booked on February 7th to kick start this one)
17) learn to pump gas at an old school gas pump
18) try speed dating (this one is PURE entertainment value and sure to be an entertaining blog entry)
19) send a drink over to someone's table
20) find a new hobby
21) sing at a karakoe bar (oh yeah, there will be some serious practicing of #8 before this one happens)
22) learn how to make 10 popular mixed drinks
23) purchase a martini shaker and learn to use it
24) learn to sew (basic stuff - curtains, pillow cases, hem pants, etc.
25) try 12 new wines
26) stock my wine cabinet (12 bottles down, 36 to go!)
A lot of the things on this list are also found in a great book that Research Chick passed on to me before my big 20-10 about the 30 things everyone should know how to do before turning 30. Some were already on my list but some were also ones that I didn't even know I needed to know. Needless to say, thanks to her.
So, if there are any that you want to make it your personal mission for 2009 to teach me how to do or experience with me for the first time (I can just imagine the lineups starting for #8 and #21 together), sign up now. I'll take orders now through February when I get started on this list once I come back from my Mexicoma.
2 comments:
Martha Stwart says a champagne bottle should sigh when you open it, not pop. It's a slower pull. I use a dish towel over the cork so it doesn't fly away.
AC
I think this calls for a demonstration, non?
Post a Comment