Because inevitably, stupid things fly out.
Take my first 20 minutes in Halifax on Monday night. Super duper windy. Like "blow your suitcase with all your worldly possessions into the puddle you parked it beside" windy. What's my observation that should have remained an inside voice thought:
This is SOOOO not a sticky lip gloss kinda city.
That's right. My hair was getting stuck to my lips and then gooey. Sure it happens sometimes but all of my freshly applied lip gloss went right into my hair. So this is what I was thinking. That and "I'm gonna look like some 80's freak with super crazy sparkly hair when we get to the hotel."
I also had some other observations while in the maritimes.
For some reason, when you drive on the wrong side of the divided highway or the wrong way down a one way street, the ministry of transportation feels the need to remind you that you are in fact going the "WRONG WAY" every few kilometres. And should you be in the right lane while on the wrong side of the road, they wouldn't want you to be confused with the fact that it's only the LEFT lane that's the wrong way so they put up big red signs on BOTH sides of that side of the road. Right. Ooo-kaaaayyyy.
Also, everyone is your NBF and everyone talks to each other. I had a 10 minute conversation with a lady to help her determine which jacket she should bring to Toronto for the weekend because her husband was celebrating 40 years with his company ("isn't that a long time to work for one company?" she mused) and they were flying him and her in for a banquet dinner and she wanted to do tourist things like go shopping or go to the CN tower but didn't want to be too cold because her brother just flew back from Edmonton on Tuesday and they had to stop the plane in Ottawa to de-ice it on the way home. (Totally off topic - is deice one word or hyphenated?) We established, after much debate and many minutes after I was finished paying for my Fruit To Go from her little university centre store, that she should go with the lighter jacket, check the weather network and bring layers. You can all only imagine how emotionally draining this was for me given that I try and avoid my neighbours and prefer to live a relatively anonymous lifestyle. I also should have known that it would be like this given the excitement of the car rental girl when I gave her my name for my reservation "oh, so you're Ms. Alberta. I've been waiting to meet you. You see, I looked at all our reservations for this evening and saw your name and thought "wow that's an interesting name" so I wanted to see who it belonged to and wouldn't it be cool if you were also from Alberta" to which my response after a terrible flight was a stoney "whaaaaa???" and she said, "oh, so about your reservation" I know, I just lived up to their expectations of Ontarians.
Finally, I couldn't do it. I couldn't have the lobster. I was thinking about it but the lobster tank at the restaurant was on the other side of the wall from my chair and then the little guys started splashing around and havin' fun and then a cook came out of the kitchen and picked one up and put him in a big tupperware container and took him back to the kitchen to meet his Maker. (Let's put a big M on that but we'll keep with the little g god. ;o) ). The thought of him being boiled made me retch (literally) and we almost had see-food of a different kind.
Anyways, Halifax and Wolfville were...ah...interesting. They're cute but not in October when I'm tired, cranky and wishing I was home.
No comments:
Post a Comment