Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Heartbreak and green beer

For the first time ever, I went out on St. Patty's day yesterday.

Seeing as how I hate beer, going out on a "holiday" where it's celebrated with green food colouring isn't exactly my version of a good time. And being accosted by drunk people and asked multiple times if I'd like to have a little Irish in me is also not my version of a good time. Unless I be one of those fools which I wasn't as I still had to work this morning.

Moreover, I had my tender little heart broken once on a St. Patrick's day. Since then, I've quietly boycotted the day as a day to mourn that lost love. Sure, it was over a decade ago. Sure it was a highschool sweetheart but it was an impressionable first love and not a St. Patty's day goes by without me thinking about the first person to deliver a soul-shattering blow to my heart.

So an impromptu invite to go out (late) last night by an old friend was at first not at all appealing. But life is short and I hadn't seen him in 6 years and green beer be damned, it'd be good to catch up - which it was. Admittedly, with a little coaxing, I tried 2 different beers last night. Your gasps of shock are audible from here. And let me reiterate, I still don't like it. But at least I tried it, right?

Moral of the story for me this morning: there are few things in life that I dwell on. Perhaps it's time to let them go and enjoy life by moving forward.

How's that for a deep thought that comes from crowded, loud bars on a day that celebrates beer more than a nationality?

No comments: