There are very few things I get nervous over. Give me a boardroom of critical people to make a presentation to? No problem. Go on a blind date? Bring it on. Attend Employee Recognition day where it's a fair like setting with a BBQ, games and mingling with colleagues?
I'd rather poke my eye out with a hot poker.
I'm not sure what it is. I'm not big on those kinds of social events. I hate parties. I hate even big dinner parties with friends. I have to get psyched up to go to networking functions for work. So the idea of hanging out with my fellow colleagues and 'having fun all afternoon' - please kill me now. I've successfully avoided this event for 3 years running. And sometimes, I've even foregone the 'gift' that they give employees at this event because of it. Free backpack and have to go or stay in my office and work. Hmmm...let's see. Stay in my office of course!
Really, it's that I'm an introvert in extrovert's clothing as I like to say. While my job requires me to be 'on' I'm really a solitary creature who prefers a lot of alone time. My most favourite thing to do on a Friday night is to stay in with take out and watch a movie. My favourite birthday pastime? Spending it alone doing whatever comes to mind - shopping, reading in a coffee shop, even doing laundry. So the idea of forced merriment and forced gatherings of large groups of people. Incredibly painful and awkward. I know the introverts understand and for those extroverts out there, when you couldn't possibly imagine a night home alone or missing a party or outing, it's the exact same feeling in reverse.
I have a feeling though that my sorry butt will get dragged this year. I'll try and think of it as broadening my horizons when every moment will be spent agonizing on the inside.
No comments:
Post a Comment