PiNC Guy and I decided to meet at Starbucks on Rideau and then head out to breakfast. For past reference, he's the guy who had plans on Saturday so we made them for Sunday but wanted to switch if his plans fell through. And let me say now that it was you, dear readers, who told me to go for it. Perhaps the LAST time I let you meddle in my
Anyways, we went for breakfast and then decided to go for a walk. Conversation flowed easily but we stayed away from the dating interview questions and just let it flow as it should. For you married or otherwise attached or otherwise forgotten what it's like to date, those are the 'so where do you work/what do you do/when was your last relationship/do you want to have kids/do you have a good relationship with your family/what are you looking for in a relationship/do you still talk to your ex' kinda questions. You know, the 'let's cut the bullshit, are you marrying material or not? I got eggs that are expiring, let's get this going' kinda questions. You know, the questions every guy - and me it seems - hates.
So, a few hours later, we were still walking around the Market and talking. At one point he made some reference to the fact that I lived on the Quebec side of the river.
*insert record scratch*
WAH? How do you figure? Apparently, he got my 889 exchange mixed up with the 819 area code. He discovered this when he pulled a post it note out of his pocket with my number written on it... AND A LIST OF SAFE SUBJECTS TO TALK ABOUT WHILE ON OUR DATE TOO! He embarrassingly put the PiN away but not before I teased him mercilessly about it. Such a romantic comedy movie move! HA! And cliche #1.
So, one thing led to another and we had dinner together and then hung out all evening and it turned into a 14 hour date.
And then I didn't hear from him for 3 days - you know, following the '3 day rule'. Why? Why do men do that? Is it a fear of letting us think that we 'got to them'? Life is short - forget the games.
So he asked to see me on Thursday but I had rowing and Eau d'Ottawa River was apparently not appealing to him. And that was it. No attempt to reschedule, no follow up emails. So I sent him an email on the Friday saying 'what, was that my only chance for a second date?' (in a joking manner, not a stalker manner). I got a response on Monday saying that he 'supposed' we could get together again. Not at all impressed with this, I said 'you suppose so?!? Don't show too much enthusiasm now' and I offered him a way out with stating that if he's had some time to digest and think he's not really interested, that's cool too. (*Inside voice: maybe I'm just too laissez-faire when it comes to dating?*)
And then the response I didn't see coming.
He then confessed to the fact that the girl he had in fact had the date with on the Saturday (okay, I should have listened to my sloppy seconds gut) he wanted to focus on dating her and so if things didn't work out then maybe in a couple of weeks we could get together.
So the new take on the old cliche of 'it's not you, it's me' is now 'it's not you, it's not me, it's her'.
But let's not forget the mantra people....
ON TO THE NEXT!
No comments:
Post a Comment