Now, I've had dates off and on with this guy that I've yet to blog about. The rules of blogging and dating state that you 1) never let a date, even if you're friends after, read the blog and 2) once a date is forever immortalized in the blog, he will never be a romantic potential again. So, because I still have dates here and there with the '26 year-old', he has not been blogged about. What he has taught me is that I shouldn't date younger men. Actually, le ex taught me that but the 26 yr-old has been reinforcing it. But sometimes, I lack judgment...
While trying to diplomatically say that I am not interested in the Uni-basher, I was also scoping out more profiles on the dating website. And lo and behold, I got a message from a new bachelor. But when I saw his age, *ahem* 24, I quickly sent him a message in return saying thank you for your interest but I'm old for you. He then replied that he's always liked older women because they are more mature, easier to talk to, etc. Knowing some of my younger, single friends, I can see a difference in our maturity levels as well so I took pity on him. We got to messaging, then MSNing and finally against better judgement, I agreed to go out for an impromptu dinner with him that night.
When deciding where to go for dinner, we tossed restaurant names back and forth until he finally said 'I don't really care where we go, as long as it's easy to get to by bus'.
(insert record scratch)
Whaaaaa? It never even occurred to me that he wouldn't have a car. So, being the oh so diplomatic one that I am, and because I'm amused by the situation and not really thinking he'd be a true dating prospect, I said, okay, I'll come pick 'your sorry ass up'. So I go to pick him up and we go for dinner at Casey's at Blair.
We sit down and he's the exact opposite of the Uni-basher from the night before. He's painfully awkward and shy (not so easy to chat someone up in person versus on MSN, eh?) and he finally broke down and one point when I said 'so, tell me more about you' with a response of...
'Well, I'm sure you can tell that I'm pretty nervous.'
At the same time that my heart broke a little for the guy, I also thought, 'I would eat you alive if I ever really dated you!!!' Needless to say, he was done for at that moment.
So I drove him home, said thank you for a lovely meal and was done with that. I now have GBack on speed dial to remind me of this every time I think I should give a younger guy a chance. And yes, I'm an ageist.
No comments:
Post a Comment