Thursday, February 12, 2009

I sang Happy Birthday. Twice.

Today was the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth. And I went to a Darwinian birthday party.

Well, really, it was a reception in honour of Darwin's birth and it was before a kick-ass lecture. Needless to say, I was pretty stoked about the "party" and of course, the cake. While I had been promised Darwin's head on a platter, all I got was the evolutionary chain of the Galapagos represented in a cake. If you don't see the relevance of that, you need to read this.

There were four layers representing the water (in blue icing), the shore (in sand coloured icing), the vegetation (in green icing) and the air (in blue icing). The thing was made of pound cake and easily weighed 30 lbs - like 2 people to carry it 30 lbs. And it took 2 days to make. But there were some fun things on it like the gummy worms coming out of the shore/vegetation meeting points with chocolate sprinkles to represent dirt, the gummy spiders, the fondant butterflies, the fondant sloth and, as no self-respecting Darwinian birthday cake would be complete without it, the monkey on top (made from icing and an Oreo. And each layer - a different flavour sensation. I had two pieces but the best of the two was the shore layer with chocolate pound cake with espresso icing...hea-ven-ly!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you send that pic to the cake wreck lady?
-JB

Anonymous said...

Holy crap... WHO MADE this disastrous masterpiece? Unbelievable! If someone ate this kinda thing on a regular basis, they'd be pretty low on the 'fittest' scale, huh?