Monday, February 23, 2009

There's a reason I don't work in the gov't

I skimmed a book a while back (it's on the shelf for future reading) re. moving up the food chain if you're a woman. It's called Nice Girls Don't Get The Corner Office.

There were quite a few things that I agreed with and among them was the credo that "your office isn't your home, don't decorate it as such" advice which I for the most part stick to. I have one photo of an elephant at the TO Zoo up, a Hoops and YoYo mini snow globe that JB gave me, my tasteful Ikea lamp, and a small, 1"x1" plexiglass frosted tile with an L scratched into it on my desk. Other than the lamp, any passerby can't see those other items unless they are actually sitting at my desk - and with reason, they're for my eyes only. But that's it. No photos of me with friends, no cards, no nonsense. I go for the "I'm here to work because I (*gasp*) want to be and I'm glad I have my job" not "I'm here AT work and wish I was somewhere else and that's why I have a constant reminder all around me at my desk".

So, other than personalized email signatures with inappropriate quotes, I have a disdain for the cluttering of personal items at a desk. And the next few pics are a testament why. My buddy A is moving offices and his big lament to me on the phone the other night was, "*sigh* I just don't know if I'll have room for all my stuff in my new office" to which I said "dude, it's a completely different office and job. What STUFF are you taking? You're not leaving files for the next person?!?" to which he retorted "no, like my stuff stuff. My hockey guys and posters and stuff."

W.

T.

F.

I had him explain and then begged him to take photos so I could make a mockery of him in my blog. To my surprise - HE DID!!!

Check it out.



















Okay, other than obsessive Canadiens stuff, it's a bit tacky but meh, whatever. I've also been just told that yes, that is a debit terminal there on his desk and the Homer Simpson poster was recently taken down from it's place above it - you know, not because he didn't want it up anymore, but in preparation for the move.




















Okay, here's another goody - the Italian flag. Now A's Pakistani, so the only thing I can figure is that as a big soccer fan, he likes the Italians?!?? Don't forget the weird pool calendar there.



















And some up close shots of the hockey players. And a Stanley Cup replica (yes, I know you're once again impressed that I can name it upon sight even!).



















Oops, looks like the goalie's being benched to the in basket! Yowsah! Seems they pulled him at the last minute so the big boys could play on top of the credenza! Even *I* know that pulling your goalie at the last minute won't buy back your luck decorating style.


















And last but not least, let's not forget the hockey screen saver. (And the Elmer's glue for sniffing)

Now, I know that these kinds of desks happen everywhere and there's a real doozie on the other side of the wall from me (but too close for me to take photos of and post them - for SURE I'd get caught somehow). But seriously, people, it's your work space. While I know that A deals with all of his clients on the phone and by email, I still don't see this as professional.

Am I being too harsh?

No comments: