Friday, January 29, 2010

Bad Romance (aka Bad Drag)

Some background music for this post...


Getting my am coffee today, I saw a poster for the campus GLBTQ pride week and beside that, a poster for a drag show at the campus bar.

'Scuse me? A drag show where I work? Well now that's interesting.

But do you think I could find anyone to go with me last minute? Of COURSE I could. My trusty 'date' CBeau.

It's rare that I feel like a minority in my life. But walking into the campus bar, I soon realized, besides perhaps the bar staff, that CBeau and I might just be the only two heterosexual people in the bar. And even more ironic, considering we went and left together, it could very well appear like we were actually on a date.

The show was a riot. Isis (pictured below) performed up a storm to Bad Romance and Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend. Even better (s)he posed for a pic for CBeau for my blog. (S)he was followed by 6 more queens and kings (there were some ladies dressed as men in there too - thanks Wikipedia for schooling me on proper cross dressing terminology) all hoping to be named, you guessed it, king and queen of pride week. We saw Bollywood 'dancers', men who passably looked like women (and ironically enough, a lot like my tenant), booty shaking, really bad barefoot grinding up against the mic stand, stilettos in size 12, and LOTS of dancing by the crowd. All I have to say is, I now know why the women of Sex and the City would go to gay clubs to dance. That and I can't wait for 80's night on Valentine's Day. I'm gonna be shakin' my money maker to Manic Monday while y'all are being 'romantic'. That's after my greedy 10 date afternoon. ;o)


Anyways, all this to say, it was a good Friday night of hoopla and shenanigans.

No comments: