Owning a vineyard takes patience. Something I'm quickly realizing I am in short supply of these days. Life's just too busy it seems. And we live in an instant gratification society. Can't sleep at night because you're worried about your finances? Call your bank at 1:00 a.m. because a loan rep is there to get you back to counting sheep soon.
All this has meant that I may have some pretty unrealistic or impatient ideas when it comes ot dating and all that jazz. And maybe it's also a tad on the 'no patience or time for games and the bs cat and mouse chase' that makes up soooo much of dating. Like the whole rules on when you can call someone back. Or when to play your cards of interest to someone.
Or when to reply back to a date request.
Back in the spring, a new young chap started coming to badminton. He was cute in that geeky kinda way and seemed nice and shy compared to his two friends that he came with. The 3 amigos stuck to themselves quite a bit and one of them (his friend) doesn't play well with others. In fact, I dislike him and his behaviour on the court so much that I refer to him as 'the asshole'. I refuse to play with or against him and something about him just makes me bristle even when I see him 2-3 courts over. He grates on my nerves *that* much.
But I digress. Anyways, cutie badminton guy had me shy as a 15 year-old school girl who's never kissed a boy. In fact, I didn't even talk to him before badminton went on hiatus for the summer months - I just admired and observed from afar.
Fast forward to this fall and I'd be lying if I said that my hopes weren't up that he'd be back to playing. But he wasn't. And neither were his friends. And I was disappointed. Then lo and behold, the asshole showed up in October. And then the other amigo showed up a little later in the month. But still no cutie.
And then out of the blue in November, he showed. Just once without his friends. And we spoke! I know, you're impressed and baffled that I, miss never-shut-the-hell-up hadn't said boo before. He was speaking to our organizer and stating that he had a class all semester on Thursdays so he hadn't come to badminton and then they started to talk about work and everyone being off sick and I jumped in the conversation as I was sitting just off to the sidelines. And that was it.
Then, in December, I had a vet appointment on one of the last nights of badminton. AFter, they were hosting the annual Xmas drinks celebration. Yes, us badminton kids get together and have a Xmas party. He was supposed to come so you can bet I was gonna race that cat home, change out of the cat furred clothes and race back downtown. When I arrived, he wasn't there. By pure fluke, I ended up sitting at a table with his friends and a few other badminton folk.
And then he walked in the door. (Can you see the 15 year old shy girl coming out in me the way I smittenly talk about him?) His friend waved him over and began moving the bags beside me for him to sit down. I went into full on panic that he was going to sit beside me.
He did, and due to the table set up, he ended up spending more time talking to Shellbell, Dennis and I than his friends. And we finally exchanged names.
Then, when we moved on to the next bar (yes, we bar hopped with the discounted food at different locals because our organizer is a cheap ass) Dennis, bless his little heart, arranged the seating so he was once again sitting beside me. His friends, however, were now more strategically placed to chat with him so I changed my focus elsewhere.
A while later, Dennis and I were discussing my upcoming trip to NYC when out of the blue I hear from beside me 'you're going to New York?' Why yes, cutie, I am. That led to a discussion for about an hour of places to go, things to do, places we'd travelled to, things we want to do in life, blah blah blah. At the end of the evening, as we all parted ways, he called out from across the room to 'have a good trip' and I would have to tell him all about it at badminton in January.
Then I went to NYC and I was shocked at the forward approach that the men seem to have in NYC to approaching women. And also realized, life's to short for this 15 year old gal crap. So on the advice of some random acquaintances at a party this past weekend, I sent him an email stating that I'd enjoyed talking to him before Xmas and wanted to know if he wanted to get together for a coffee some time. That was on Sunday.
*insert chirping crickets*
And.....nothing. No acknowledgment, no nuthin'! I, being a bit glass half empty when it comes to thinking someone will show interest in me, figure, meh, not interested...moving on. After all, it's been over 72 hours. If it was a yes, I would have heard back by now. If it's a no, he's either waiting me out to ignore me or finding a polite way to say no. Either way, moving on. At least now I know, right?
On to the next....
No comments:
Post a Comment