Friday, November 7, 2008

West Coast Story - Act II

So again the flight from Edmonton to Calgary was on one of those little prop planes. And this time, I decided to COUNT how many women were on the plane. On the plane of 40, 5 of them were women including me and the stewardess (is that the PC term for them or should I say flight attendant?). Wrong city, wrong city.

I get into Calgary and it's...what? SNOWING? And everything is white? Right, great. Not to mention that my flight was a half hour late (although UMan guy kept me entertained in the airport) but I was supposed to meet high school friend D for dinner. BOO! I did get to the hotel and met up with him for a nice dinner and catching up. However, D's quite the drinker and well, I should have known better. I went back to the hotel a little more than tipsy. I still had work to do the next morning so I got 2.5 hours of sleep.

I managed to get through the first hour or so and then the hangover set in...OYE. I also at one point took count of all the people I could see in the hotel lobby and breakfast area and of the 22 people, 7 were women and 2 of those were myself and the work colleague I was travelling with. Hence, the "visible minority" status update that garnered more attention than expected.

Anyways, my (paranoid) colleague did web check in for her ticket that night but I was busy getting stuff done for the new initiative we had taking place today at work and wasn't worried about it. Why should I be, I have a confirmation number (oh yes, you see where this is going, don't you?!?). So off to U of C and again, a former colleague tracked me down for lunch so that was good to catch up. After fighting for a cab we got to the airport where I decided to stay in my work clothes rather than change and where I printed out my boarding pass at the self serve kiosk. I noticed I didn't get to pick my seat but unlike paranoid colleague, I really don't care where I sit, I'm still getting home....

or so I thought

-end of act II

No comments: