Friday, November 14, 2008

What profile pic comes next?

Okay, dear readers, this one may be offensive to some of you. You may not want to read it because it's a "I just don't get it because I'm not a breeder" kinda blog and you breeders may get up in arms about it. I've already ranted about this to my SIL who chuckled so at least I know the fam won't disown me but you friends might. But remember - months ago I warned you to read this at your own risk.

I won't get into the 'round about circumstances for today's non-breeder rant. Suffice to say, I've noticed a trend in Facebook (FB) photos. (And Blogger soooo needs to get with it because Facebook is not a spelling error.)

In my age demographic (let's say a span of 2-3 years on either side of the good ole 20-10), there seems to be a trend in the profile pics people put up. About 2 years ago, when I first got on FB (can you believe it's been that long ALREADY!) I noticed that everyone was putting up wedding photos of themselves as their profile pics. Fair 'nuff.

Now though, I notice that it's all photos of their babies that they're all putting up. While I get that being a parent changes your life in a way no other milestone in your life will, when did people stop being themselves and strictly exist for their Kinder (there's a little random German thrown in for ya today - you're welcome)? I mean, I get the ones that put up photos of them with their offspring, but the ones that are just solely of their offspring? HUNH? (This is where those of you with those types of photos have probably been offended enough and have unbookmarked my blog).

I dunno, maybe it's because I like to see profile pics of people from a sick voyeuristic perspective. Maybe it's because when I look at my friends list I am now "friends" with more newborns and toddlers than I am people my age and that freaks me out. And maybe it's because that's something I'll never partake in and I don't really get the whole parenting thing. I mean really, if we're talking milestones, what's next? Should I post a scan of my divorce decree when it finally gets sent to me? *chuckle* Could you imagine? *more chuckling* Oh that would be funny in a SO 'EFFING TACKY AND IN POOR TASTE kinda way! It'd be an urban Facebook legend of what NOT to do on your profile.

2 comments:

Lara said...

I don't think your comment is offensive - it's fine and I get how you might now get it. My answer is a multiple parter - 1: I generally don't like many photos of myself anymore so Kiernan seems like a better option ;) 2: You really do start thinking of yourself as less important than your kids and 3: Parents have always been doomed to annoyingly share more than other people care about about how cute and wonderful their kids are. I think we're programmed that way. I can see how it can and surely is annoying to more than just people who don't want to have kids. Unfortunately, you may just need to deal ;)

LTP said...

Okay 1) I still think you look fabulous and still wanna see your smiling face 2) that's what has ensured survival of the species for many a millennia - making sure the subsequent generations survive past the previous ones and 3) damn straight so I'm going to be show how annoyingly cute I was at that age and have changed my profile pic to one of me as a young gaffer. Guess now YOU'LL have to deal ;o)

All in fun and jest, right? ;o)