Friday, November 7, 2008

West Coast Story - Act III

So, I get to the web baggage drop off and the guy looks at my ticket and says "ohhh, well, there's something I need to tell you". Apparently, as a regular policy, Air Canada oversells their flights and given when I checked in, regardless of the fact that these flights cost me $1300 in AUGUST when I booked, I apparently just had a ticket and not a seat (yeah, I can hear you from here, Mexican Princess in an exasperated tone saying "have you learned nothing from my mistakes?"). Silly me, I thought they were one in the same.

So the guy tells me that I can check my baggage but once it's checked, it's going with or without me. But he's pretty sure that I'll be on the flight - like 99% sure. So I say, whatever, do it. Because I really can't see that I won't get on this flight. I'm told to check in at the counter when I arrive at the gate.

So off we go to the gate where I go right up to the counter and give her my boarding pass. I get some dinner and we're waiting when they announce that our gate has changed because there was a loose screw in the fuel lines of our aircraft so they need to switch aircraft and it's at another gate. Unlike a cab that comes to the customer, apparently we have to walk to our air cab.

Anyways, off to the other terminal we go. I get to the counter to ask what the dealio is and I'm told to just wait. Turns out that the new plane is actually smaller than the first one. So now there's even LESS space. They make an annoucement asking for volunteers to stay behind and no one budges. My colleague offers up her space on the plane for me so I can get back in time for my presentation on Friday but they won't let her do that.

As everyone is boarding, myself and two other passangers get called up to the counter where we're told we're not getting on the plane unless someone else who has checked in doesn't show. So I mention I have to get back for the am for a presentation where people from out of the city are coming for it and that I have to get back and what are my options if I fly through another city, whatever. Gate guy says there's a midnight flight to TO where I could then try and get a morning Airbus to Ottawa. Other guy at the counter says "wow, you're going to be tired" to which I say "I have no choice, I have to get back" Two minutes pass and low and behold, someone doesn't show. But it's the OTHER guy who gets dibs before me and the FUCKER takes the flight even though I'm standing there and he knows my have to get back for work situation. SO rude because he says he'd "prefer" to go back, not HAS to get back but prefers.

So then I get sent back out past security to the web check in counter to try and reschedule my flights.

-end of act III

No comments: