1. Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
Tough one - to me they are a package deal. In the eve, movies around a fireplace with goodies is divine. In the morning, toasty HC or coffee and present unwrapping is bliss. How do you choose between divinity and bliss? I guess, realistically, Christmas Eve as there's still some romantic anticipation of the big day to come.
2. Donner or Donder?
Donner.
3. Turkey or ham?
Turkey. Anything else is sacrilegious.
4. Gifts opened all at once, or one at a time?
All at once. I hate being the spotlight of attention and if there's a particular gift I wanna see being opened either from me or someone else, I will stop what I'm doing to watch. I find the one at a time takes too long and I'd rather have the "ohh, what did you get?" conversation after the fact. Besides, making kids wait for one at a time is just cruel. Confession: I'm sooo not good at lying or hiding my true feelings and hate the idea of having to fake excitement over another set of champagne glasses or whatnot.
5. Christmas tree: live or artificial?
When we were kids, my dad would start us on the Christmas tree hunt months in advance. We'd drive around looking at tree tops of trees that were up to 3 or 4 stories tall and he'd tromp in, sometimes 1/2 a km in the snow, to get the perfect tree. He'd cut down the full tree and the top 10-14 feet would be used for our Christmas tree (we had cathedral ceilings in our living room). He'd also drill holes in the trunk of the tree to take branches from the rest of the unused tree to make the perfectly filled out tree. For this reason, live, all the way. I do feel bad though about the Xmas tree industry and think it can't possibly be good for the environment.
6. Cards: boxed cards, family photo cards, or e-cards?
Boxed. Regardless of what it says, I like putting them on the mantle, seeing what cards people pick out based on their personality type, etc. Realistically though, they end up shredded and in the blue bin so I feel bad for the family photo ones of what to do with them but I understand the appeal of them for some people.
7. Christmas lights: incandescent or LED?
Incandescent - LED's don't "sparkle" enough for me.
8. Re-gift or not?
Re-gift all the way. HOWEVER, that means you have to hang on to it for a period of time until someone's birthday or another occasion. The "unwanteds" are more likely to end up at the Sally Ann or Value Village drop boxes before then. I can't stand having clutter in my house.
9. Gift wrap or gift bags?
I wrap everything. I love tearing open presents and most people do too regardless of if their environmental conscious will let them admit to it openly. I even wrap and THEN gift bag at Xmas time.
10. Best Christmas song?
Baby It's Cold Outside - any artist but I especially like Diana Reeves and Lou Rawls (off of Jazz to the World)
Close runner ups (in no particular order):
Elf's Lament - Barenaked Ladies
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
The Christmas Song - Hootie and the Blowfish (off of A very special Christmas 3)
Jingle Bell Rock - Randy Travis (off of A very special Christmas 2)
11. Best Christmas movie?
The Family Stone.
12. Favourite family tradition?
Our family would also cut down a miniature tree about 2-3' tall that my mom would then wrap Pot of Gold chocolates and other candies and chocolates in tinfoil and hang it from the tree with red, white and green yarn and it was a "Candy Tree". We'd get to pick one or two things off of it and I remember always trying to get the square looking tinfoil ball because that was a caramel chocolate.When you add the candy tree with two days worth of decorating our huge trees plus Swedish Angel Chimes, ceramic Christmas trees, stockings with miniature cereal boxes with sugary goodness for breakfast on Christmas day, oranges in the toes and a can of alfagettin for lunch on Xmas day, how can you choose just one?
No comments:
Post a Comment