Friday, August 15, 2008

Churches make me laugh

No, I did not go to church - are you kidding?!? It's bad enough I get dragged as a faux E&C Catholic where I then stand around looking at all the creepy paintings of Jesus on his way to being crucified and then the crucifixion and the resurrection. I tell ya, I feel like saying to the priest, there are kids here in the audience! Seriously, it's like they want to scare the bejesus (pun intended) outta you so you'll sit in quiet fear during the ceremony (whoops, mass, sorry). And then, to top it off, I've been chastised outta church before for not crossing myself or kneeling. Okay, you neanderthals, you don't think that I can't hear you in the pew behind me? Some all forgiving Catholics that lot was. (Real irony, next Christmas, little Tommy behind me had gotten his GF knocked up. Last I checked, this heathen still hadn't had children out of wedlock!)

Anyways, back to the point of the story. So, I'm off to JJ&J's house for my last cat-sitting duty. I forgot the camera to take a picture of the living room for you but if JJ gives me permission, I'll blog about it because it's just too funny. I think every time I'm left alone in their house I find something that makes them a little quirkier than I am ;o)

Anyways, I'm driving along and I see a sign at the church. You know, one of those signs that you put in the letters to spell words and then someone inevitably comes along and removes letters and then your sign is full of cussing and profanities? Anyways, this sign says "ASAP. Always say a prayer." It made me chuckle. Like that sign is REALLY going to beef up the declining numbers you've had over the past years. Seriously, come on. Thing is though, I'm seeing more and more and more of them these days. Some are light hearted and sometimes even crack jokes and others are very foreboding and again, play up the whole fear concept again.

All this to say, this wasn't a very well thought out post but I just wanted to say that churches make me laugh. Okay, it's been a few days since I mocked fun at organized religion and well, a gal's gotta secure that one-way ticket to hell and I wanna do it in style. Champagne andmashuga nuts all the way, baby!

No comments: