Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Way to make your colleague feel appreciated

So, I heard about - wait, ever notice I start a lot of posts with So or Okay? - the most ridiculous way to make a colleague feel appreciated today at work. BTW, that's dripping with sarcasm text which is why it's in italics - for emphasis. Not like it will be needed after I tell ya this little ditty.

When one colleague was speaking to another she commented that her name and extension was left off of the office unit's phone list yet again to which said colleague mentioned that the administrator who makes up the list won't put her name on it, regardless of the fact that she's asked for it several times, because...wait, you ready for this???

She's not a permanent employee.

Yup - guess priority 2 status in the union means you don't make it onto our phone lists.

Can you believe that?

What's even worse is that this is amongst colleagues that this is being done. It's not even like big bad Employer (did you catch that capital E?) is doing this as CUPE likes to brainwash us into thinking that we're unappreciated in our jobs by our Employer. It's one colleague to another. I swear, I don't know what's happening at work these days but this is just another prime example of how we all seem to be going at one another like rabid dogs. Where did congeniality go? Where did "all working towards a common goal" go? WTF?

But most importantly, where did professionalism go?

No comments: