It's not a phrase I like to utter, the subject line of this post. I like to think that I'd prefer to say "I'm just not good at it" and maybe one day (because it'll mean I've finally had a date) "I'm just not that into you". But really, I just can't do it.
What is it, you ask? Well, it's really not THAT juicy. I can't, no matter how hard I try, finish this stupid, piece of crap disguised as a literary classic novel that my new book club has selected. When I say new, really, I'm just a book club crasher who joined this month. This painful experience, which will undoubtedly lead to me being kicked out of the book club before I even get started, will teach me to be a little bit more strategic in my timing of crashing.
What novel, you ask? Wuthering Heights. Yes, some of you will gasp in horror that I'm calling it a piece of crap and there will be outcries that I'm an uncultured heathen for never having read it before or because I hate it. And then there will be some of you that will tell me to "give it a chance". If, after 2 weeks of reading it EVERY night before bed, I'm still only 20 pages in, it's a piece of crap and I just can't do it. Let's put it this way - I would rather PUMP GAS than read this book - that's how much I hate it.
This is where I think to myself that my personal philosophy on reading is at fundamental odds with the book club phenomenon. I really feel that life is too short to read crap you don't like. Plus, I hate, as in H-A-T-E sitting around and discussing the novel after the fact like I'm back in grade 12 English class. I can't describe to you the sheer jubilation I felt when writing my last English lit exam in university I realized that I would never again use words like protagonist, symbolism or climax. (Well, okay, maybe climax shouldn't be struck from my vocab just yet. ;o) ) I'm a read it, like it, don't, whatever - on to the next! kinda gal.
So really, what am I doing in yet another book club - and I'm sure those of you who have been in one with me before are also scratching your head at my perceived need for mental anguish. I'm trying to take the advice of my friend E and "get out there, join new things, meet new people, blah blah blah." But I think this is one where I've set myself up for misery in some way.
So, the up shot is really, anyone know of any movies based on WH? After all, I really don't want to be perceived (even if it is rightly so) as the new girl who hated the book, didn't read it, and really just came for the snacks.
And A, no outing me to the rest of book club, okay? And JJ, I may be rethinking joining your book club now.
4 comments:
Sweet. Can I borrow your copy? I didn't even read the book for the last two meetings. It's that kind club. Rant about what you managed to read (or the jacket design, if that's as far as I've got).
Also, the next person to host gets to choose the three books we vote on. Mary Roach has a book called Bonk!
Queen of the Universe A.
Oh, the BBC did a version.
A
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
;)
Hey...pipe down you (Lara). I seem to remember you and I strategically picking books for book club to balance out the personal missions our last club had in making us suffer through their choices.
Yes, Queen of the Universe A, you can borrow my copy. I'll bring it in tomorrow - if I can stomach having to carry it to work - the only good thing about that is that when you act as a sherpa, you burn more calories. That's it, Wuthering Heights helps me burn calories. Maybe I should throw it around in frustration too...MORE calories spent!
Post a Comment